As I mentioned Friday, I completed 10 days of fasting eating only fruits, veggies, and whole grains and drinking only water. (No coffee!) Only God in me made this possible. I could never do it myself. Here are some things I learned while on the fast.
1. God created us with empty places that can be filled only by him. But instead, we turn to food, facebook, TV or other things. Whether I'm happy, sad, bored, or lonely, I use food to comfort me. I need to be turning to God.
2. I eat unconsciously alot. I graze when making the kids snacks, or eat when I see something that looks good, even when I'm not hungry. Fasting made me analyze every thing I ate, and think before eating it.
3. I am blessed with an abundance of food! Day 1 while I was eating breakfast, I couldn't bring myself to complain, thinking of the people in Haiti who would love to eat my tasteless muesli, and drink my fresh water (with no coffee in it!). This fast was made so much easier by the abundance of fresh fruits and veggies available. It wasn't a hard ship, although it did require a lot of self-denial. (as opposed to self-indulgence.)
4. Frozen grapes taste like candy when you haven't had any sugar in 6 days.
5. I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me!
What can you accomplish through Christ today?
Philippians 4:13 -- I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.