Saturday, November 22, 2008
1. I am a sinner saved by grace. But unfortunately I'm not too keen on admitting what my sins are. That is between me & God.
2. If your blog post is one long post with no paragraphs - I'm not reading it! It looks too long, so I hit the next blog.
3. I can't stand music on 95% of blogs. I do love Sharon's because the song always compliments her post and I think that is so cool! And if the song is quiet and slow I like it, but I don't want to get blasted out of my chair by contemporary music while blogging. And it's hard to read with music jangling in my head.
4. I am cynical and don't believe most things I read. ("Send this email to everyone you know.") That is why it is so amazing to me that I am a Christian, because I am a cynic! I check everything on http://www.snopes.com/ and most of it is false. But I do believe the bible 110%.
5. Only up to #5?!?!?! Hmmmm. Sometimes I don't like getting tagged, because it breaks the flow of my blog, but if I don't get tagged I feel rejected like "why didn't they tag me?" Goofy I know, but it's me.
6. I can be impatient. I have love, peace, joy, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and sometimes even gentleness and self-control. But not much patience. I am working on it - and am much better than I used to be!
7. My mom is an alcoholic! I used to be ashamed to admit this, but I'm not anymore, because IT IS NOT ABOUT ME! I didn't cause it, I can't fix it. Amen!
8. I hate entertaining. I get all worked up, nervous, type A, crazy. I'd much rather come to YOUR house.
9. Gracious, this is boring to even me? Do you really want to hear 6 more things? Umm, I am addicted to coffee - ALL coffee.
10. Okay, I watch American Idol. I pretend I don't and feel very superior to those who do and admit it, but I am a closet watcher. Okay! Deal with it. I even voted. (Oh, the humiliation).
11. I am obsessive with tooth hygiene. I floss twice a day or more. One of my Top 10 fears in having food stuck in my teeth in public.
12. I was an extra in a movie with Charlie Sheen and Linda Hamilton...but they re-shot the scene I was in, so I wasn't in the movie...and it went straight to DVD anyway.
13. I am not superstitious AT ALL. (Notice this is number 13!)
14. I have no desire to home school. I'm glad my kids go to school, because frankly I need the break. I'm a better mom because they go to school. (See #6 above).
15. I hope to write a devotional book that will be published one day. I don't want to admit it because if I fail... Well, there it is - I admitted it.
So 15 things about me. BORING!
Friday, November 21, 2008
One of my favorite comics (below) is the one where the bully (Moe) says "Get of the swing Twinky" and Calvin says "Forget it Moe. Wait your turn." PUNCH. After getting punched, Calvin says "It's hard to be religious when certain people never get incinerated by bolts of lightening."
Isn't that the truth? As a Christian some of my hardest moments come when "other people" (you know the ones,) seemingly have no troubles. But I feel like Calvin, having been "beaten up" by life.
Unfortunately, I can sometimes see myself in Calvin. My all time favorite is autobiographical and reads like this: Calvin in the first frame is shouting, “I’m in a very crabby mood, so everybody just leave me alone! I hate everybody.” In the next two frames Calvin stomps off, then he stops and looks around. Finally in a small voice he says, “Nobody recognizes my hints to smother me with affection.” Like Calvin, sometimes I need to improve my communication skills. I'm thankful to have a God who can read my heart, even with my mouth is shouting something all together different.
Hobbes has learned the great biblical truth to be content in all circumstances. He could teach us a thing or two, in this age where we all WANT WANT WANT.
Calvin: "Anything at all! Whatever you want!"
Hobbes: "A sandwich.
"Calvin: "A SANDWICH?!? What kind of stupid wish is THAT?! Talk about a failure of imagination! I'd ask for a trillion billion dollars, my own space shuttle, and a private continent!"
In the next panel, Hobbes is standing in front of the kitchen counter, munching on a sandwich.
Hobbes: "I got my wish."
May we "wish" and pray responsibly so that we too may get what we ask for...and remain content even if we don't.
Philippians 4:11 -- I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
2 Corinthians 12:8,9 -- Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
At the end times, God will have each of us stand in accountability of what we've believed and what we've done. At the Revelation the dead will be judged. The book of life will be opened and "The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.... If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." (Revelations 20:13, 15)
Spring and summer last for awhile, but the day of frost will come. Are you ready?
Monday, November 17, 2008
Sunday, November 16, 2008
I wish I could send everyone the book, but alas the drawing was random.
Melanie - I'll be mailing the book out one day next week. I hope you enjoy it.
Everyone go visit Melanie and tell her congrats and welcome her to our blog community. She is a newer blogger, but becoming a fast friend, and a wonderful encourager (not to mention a sister coffee-addict. Yup - she fits right in here!)